As part of you J-1 visa status and being an Au-Pair, you are required to take 6 credit classes in an accredited institution. Online and Adult Schools are not accepted, it absolutely has to be a local college; an accredited institution. Even if the class does not give you credits, you can count hours towards your fulfillment;
1 credit equals 12 hours – 6 credits equals 72 hours of class time
The following list of schools/colleges are accredited institutions you may take classes in. There are others, but this is in the immediate area.
Au-Pairs need to schedule the classes around the family’s schedule and the family is responsible for getting them to school, whether it is letting the Au-Pair use the car, dropping and picking the Au-Pair up or paying for public transportation the Au-Pair needs to use to get to classes. If Au-Pairs are sharing rides, please make sure the family is okay with it and use common sense.
- County College of Morris- ESL classes
214 Center Grove Rd.
Randolph, NJ 07869
- Montclair University
1 Normal Avenue/corner Valley Rd.
Montclair, NJ 07043
- ESL CLASS: 3 credits for $ 385, two times per week, Carito is taking this class.
- TOEFFL: 6 credits, $ 650, twice per week; Paula is taking this class as she will need it in the future.
- LIU Post – weekend courses
LIU Post CEP & Au pair Program Office
720 Northern Boulevard
Greenvale, New York 11548
Phone: (516) 299-2359
Mail: 36 Madison Ave, Madison NJ 07940
- Silver bay- weekend courses
The College of Saint Rose
432 Western Avenue
Albany, New York 12203-1490
Phone: 518.454.5115 (e-mails preferred)
- Cultural Hi- Ways
Weekend courses (3-4 weekends on campus and in the city of your choice)
The Learning Across America program offered by the Borough of Manhattan Community College offers you the opportunity to explore the history, geography, landmarks, arts, and customs that characterize North America. You’ll learn about fascinating cultures and locales through classroom lectures, films, articles and discussions while improving your English communication skills. In addition to the classroom instruction, you’ll participate in a Cultural Hi-Ways tour to the destination you’re studying.
Each course consists of 3 days of class on weekends over 3 or 4 weeks, followed by a tour to the locale studied. The Borough of Manhattan Community College offers Learning Across America courses at the following locations in NJ:
College of Saint Elizabeth in Morristown, New Jersey.
- BOSTON: 3 Sunday’s a month and 4th full weekend of travel to Boston; $399 for 3 credits
- WASHINGTON DC: 3 Sunday’s a month and traveling the 4th weekend; $399 for 3 credits.
- NIAGARA FALLS*: 3 Sunday’s 10 AM to 4 PM. AP’s loved the trip. $485 for three Sunday classes and the trip, including the hotel. 4,5 credits.
* You may need a Canadian visa to travel to Niagara Falls and Montreal and you have to get your DS-2019 signed to be able to come back to the United States. You also have to attend all classes to get all credits, otherwise they will deduct.
Thursday, 19 October 2017 12:33 AM